4/28/13

Lesson Plan

I think I've mentioned this a couple times before, but I am a physical education teacher at Rya's and Josh's school.  I do teach as a part of the PERP, but I am not allowed to teach Rya or Josh because the scientists conducting the research are afraid that I could skew the results by teaching my own kids.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter.  What I wanted to show you what a typical class looks like under PERP.  This is what I will be doing with my class of 5th graders tomorrow.


Tomorrow, I will be teaching a fifth grade class.  

  1. 20 minute lesson on cardio exercise on the heart and circulation
    1. The heart becomes stronger and will have to work less
    2. Measure the heart rates of the class using two fingers on the wrist method, counting how many times it beats for one minute.
      1. I plan on recording the heart rates and having the class measure again near the end of the school year to see the difference.
      2. Teach them that athletes' have a lower heart rate because their hearts can pump more blood because the hearts are stronger.
    3. You get lower cholesterol, which is basically fat.  Also there is less "congestion" in the arteries.
    4. Have the class color a diagram of the heart, veins, and arteries.
  2. Physical activity
    1. Run/walk as many laps as you can in 20 minutes and keep track.
      1. 5 minute stretch before and after.
  3. Have the students start a food log.  
    1. Have them log everything they eat every day

No comments:

Post a Comment