4/28/13

I swear, it was for science!


I took a survey of my own to ask how my 5th grade PE class liked PERP.

The majority of them approved of the program, even if there were several reasons why.
Now, I don't approve of young girls going on diets to change their appearance in ANY way, but many girls said that the program will help them avoid becoming fat.  I corrected this on their papers when I returned them.  I told them to focus more on how healthy they are instead of comparing their bodies to what they see in magazines.  

The boys liked the physical activity, especially because they were required to recored their progress.  Instead of competing with each other I told them to compete with themselves.

Another observation was that the girls participate much more when there isn't the threat of boys hitting them with dodge balls thrown as hard as possible, and honestly I can't blame them.  Those things hurt.

I asked them if they preferred traditional PE or PERP better, and almost all preferred PERP.



Physical education needs to be reformed.  The program can help children and young adults become comfortable with their bodies and focus on health instead of appearance by educating them early on.  

Take that, traditional PE!

No comments:

Post a Comment